With Sam Smith’s “Writing’s on the Wall” due to be released tomorrow, a survey conducted by mobile casino LeoVegas.com has found that Adele’s “Skyfall” is the most popular Bond theme with 007 fans, narrowly putting Shirley Bassey’s “Goldfinger” into second place. “Skyfall” picked up 23% of votes, and “Goldfinger” receiving 20%.
The survey* found that although Adele’s Oscar winning anthem was the most popular, other recent Bond themes have failed to find favour with fans. Both “You Know my Name”, by Chris Cornell for 2006’s Casino Royale, and “Another Way to Die” by Jack White and Alicia Keys for 2008’s Quantum of Solace, were voted the least popular of all Bond themes, with both receiving less than 1% of votes.
Joining Adele and Shirley Bassey at the top of the chart are Paul McCartney and Wing’s “Live and Let Die”, with 13% of votes, Carly Simon’s “Nobody Does it Better”, from the Spy Who Loved Me, and Shirley Bassey’s second entry in the top five, “Diamonds are Forever”, both with 7%.
Adele’s 2012 hit was most popular with women, with 27% of female fans placing it at the top of their chart, followed by “Goldfinger” (22%) and “Live and Let Die” (12%). With men, “Skyfall” came third with 14% of votes, “Live and Let Die” came in second (16%) and “Goldfinger” was the most popular, with 20% of male votes.
The age of Bond fans also plays a part in their theme preference. Fans aged 18 to 44 are most likely to opt for Adele, while those aged 45 to 65 prefer Shirley Bassey’s “Goldfinger”.
Commenting on the research, LeoVegas UK Country Manager, Shenaly Amin, said: “Sam Smith has a fantastic voice so we’re sure his theme for Spectre will be a huge hit, especially as it’s influenced by Shirley Bassey, who, as our research shows, is responsible for two of the most popular Bond themes ever”.
The survey of Bond anthems was conducted by LeoVegas as the mobile casino looks to celebrate the launch of the latest Bond film by hosting a blackjack tournament in central London on the week of the UK premiere – with all entrants being named after James Bond characters and actors. The winner of the quick-fire elimination blackjack tournament will win a weekend in Las Vegas and £500 spending money. To enter, contestants need to email james.bond@LeoVegas.com with their Bond name and contact details. Travel to the venue will be paid for.
Top Ten Bond Anthems
1. Skyfall – Adele (From Skyfall)
2. Goldfinger – Shirley Bassey (from Goldfinger)
3. Live And Let Die – Paul McCartney & Wings (from Live and Let Die)
4. Nobody Does It Better – Carly Simon (from The Spy who Loved Me)
5. Diamonds Are Forever – Shirley Bassey (from Diamonds are Forever)
6. A View To A Kill – Duran Duran (from A View to a Kill)
7. James Bond Theme – The John Barry Orchestra (from Dr. No)
8. For Your Eyes Only – Sheena Easton (from For Your Eyes Only)
9. From Russia With Love – Matt Monro (from Russia With Love)
10. GoldenEye – Tina Turner (from Goldeneye)
* The survey was carried out by an independent survey provider with 1,000 respondents aged between 18 and 65 in September 2015.